You can certainly pack yourself or the moving company can do it for you. Packing always seems to be the most laborious and time-consuming part of a move. We all seem to have many more possessions than we first estimate and the time involved with packing them seems to grow after we begin. Here are some quick packing tips:
- Start packing as soon as you can. It always takes longer than you expect.
- Eliminate as many items as you can by donating to charity and/or holding a moving sale. It will save you time in the long run.
- Pack a suitcase for each family member as if you were going on a three day trip. Keep the suitcases with you instead of putting them on the moving truck.
- Create one or two Open Me First boxes for each room containing the items you'll need immediately upon arrival at your new home. This saves a lot of time.
- Number and label each box on all four sides and on top with an abbreviation for the destination room. This allows the movers to identify and place boxes quickly rather than having to constantly ask the question, "Where do you want this box?".
- Focus on one room at a time to avoid getting overwhelmed.
- Hold a packing party with friends, family and other recruits. Offer free food and music to entice packing party-goers.
- For more detailed information read our Packing 101 tips.